Sunday 21 July 2013

Conception over perfection.

To envisage is to contemplate or devise something. We aim for perfection but invariably fall short. Thats okay though. The real talent lies in coming up with the plan, everybody knows that stuff never goes right in the execution of that plan. That should not be a reason to avoid something. We can train in a way that promotes fluidity of the mind, if a chosen course of action or technique fails we can reorganise or restructure to begin again. During times of stress we don't always get the luxury of throwing the optimal strike from the optimal stance. Anyone who has taken part in any combat scenario can appreciate that, but we deal with it. Sometimes even in times of great calm, during meditation for example, a spanner gets thrown in the works. A strange sensation, or a glimpse of something or a full on moment of complete understanding. One of the strangest things that has happened to me whilst I was meditating was that I disappeared! Hard to describe really but I became so aware of the things around me that I lost any perspective of myself. How did I deal with it? I think I decided it was the coolest thing that had ever happened to me and without panic reorganised and restructured and began again. If you wish to really practice Martial Arts you cannot slack in the cultivation of the internal systems of the body. Strengthen all parts of your physical body but if you neglect the energy systems at work within yourself you have only half trained and you will only ever half train. The energy systems relate much more closely to your health and well being. In my experience of Martial Artists I have noticed a strange dichotomy of many. On the one hand an acceptant, tolerant and of flexible mind bunch, on the other hand an unbending judgemental even borderline spiteful bunch. The latter is often brought to the fore when the internal arts are brought up. This is very evident in my "mother tounge martial art", there is a clear divide of camps. Really it is coming from people who should know better and conduct themselves more appropriately but their collective fear and lack of respect seems to be debilitating them. The previous Master of the style was a practitioner of the internal arts and discussion with the current Master would indicate that he was a practioner of some advance skill. This seems to be lost on some, their scoffing and pseudo-sapient attitude is offensive to the style that has brought me much pleasure in the many years I have been practicing. There are very few true Masters out there but there is one to which we should always defer, our own selves. Spend even a few minutes with that guy everday and you will see an improvement in many things. That is the very basic beginnings of internal training, is it really that hard to conceive?

No comments:

Post a Comment