Saturday 3 December 2016

Experiencing a "Yin" Master

One of the things I particularly enjoy about Martial Arts training is having new experiences. Maybe meeting a new person, learning a new technique or perhaps getting a new perspective. It happens often on my Martial Journey and last night was no exception, although very different. Despite training for 20 years I had never had the privilege of training with a female Master. This isn't something I avoided; it's just that they're not as common in the Martial World. A Master is a Master in Chinese Martial Culture and as such they are called Master, not Mistress; however Master Faye Yip asked to be addressed only as Faye. Her opening words being thus, made me warm to her immediately.

I am no stranger to ladies in Martial Arts, in fact my most senior student happens to be one, so I am aware of the troubles women face in the Martial Arena. My senior has told me the horror of a time I had left her to take care of my kickboxing class. A new student had introduced himself to one of the male junior grades assuming he was the instructor! OOPS! An understandable misassumption  given the context or an unforgivable error, you can decide? Regardless we all make assumptions. I made one last night, a workshop around health Qigong led by a female; I had not expected as many men to be present but the majority of the class indeed was male. Obviously this wasn't even worth noting for Master Yip.

We began with quite possibly the greatest warm up exercise I have ever taken part in. Master Yip did the usual: feet shoulder width apart, relax shoulders, head on an invisible string pulled up. Then it became very different: "you are standing on a boat, as the boat rises through gentle waves in your mind rise with the movement of the water. Coordinate the gentle lifting of the arms, the gentle inhale of breath. Exhale and allow the arms to float back to your sides each time." Honestly I could've done that all night, I have never felt such peace and tranquillity. From the very outset Master Yip put me in a place I don't often go.

I am a man, I am completely at ease with my masculinity. I disapprove of the general constraint placed on men in more recent years to adhere to a diluted, soft and more easily managed maleness. It has caused a crisis in masculinity. Through its societal reinforcement it has caused bigger problems for both men and women. Yet here in a simple warm up exercise a divine female energy cut right through my fortified male armour and reminded me of my place in the world. It was for me, that profound. Through her gentle guidance I found a great strength. I was at ease, softened and many things that have been on my mind of late, dropped away.

A Male Master, although of equal value, would not take you there direct. A warm up is a mechanical process that must be undertaken to avoid injury, yes very true but Master Yip expressed a more expansive idea about the form in which function can take. I think that the female mind can do this with ease. A male seeks the usefulness, utility and straightforward thinking that methodically unveils the many layers that makes up the practise. A woman appreciates the emotional depth that the unveiling of the layers will eventually lead to and moves there as her base of operations. I have learned this particular set of movements that the workshop was on twice before, both times from male Masters. Master Yip approached it completely differently. It was more based on thoughts, feelings and more descriptive than visual. Her phrasing within the teachings was totally different. For example, something that springs to mind, instead of saying "OK, let's do it one more time" she said "OK, I want you to experience it one more time." Although very subtle that particular way of expressing it implies a completely different outcome. It was an excellent workshop and a great pleasure. I will seek her out again. It reminded me that sometimes the receiving of the actual information is not as important as the method in which it is given. On a deeper level the gentler approach employed by a woman can move a man to greater level of self awareness. It is a strong catalyst that will solve our problems.




No comments:

Post a Comment